Friday, September 30, 2011

A Tale of Two Moths by Dee Fairbanks Simpson

On the Friday of our last meeting, I went outside at lunch time and found the biggest moth I've ever seen in my life hanging on the side of my house, I seriously thought it was a bat at first. I got a bunch of pictures of it, and didn't think much more of it. However, at the meeting that night, Jim Meyer happened to mention that he too had seen a huge moth that day too. We were comparing notes, and even though Jim saw his in Titusville, and I saw mine in Fellsmere, it sure sounded like we were seeing at least the same type of moth. Here are our pictures for comparison (click on photo to enlarge):

Jim's Moth

Dee's Moth
Let us know in the comments if you know what kind of critters we have here!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I think it looks like a Black Witch Moth, about which you can read on the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascalapha_odorata. "The moth undertakes a northward migration during the late spring and summer, moving up through Central America and entering the northern reaches of its range. During this season individual adults and masses of larvae can be found from Texas to Florida."

    ReplyDelete