Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas Bird Count Stories

This month's Audubon Chapter Services Newsletter included the following:

"Those who participate in the Christmas Bird Count are part of a wonderful tradition, enjoying the treasure of each species tallied, and all in the service of science. Gary Langham, Vice President & Chief Scientist of Audubon, details his family’s experience on a recent CBC and asks you to share with us your CBC stories. Gary’s article, just released in American Birds, Summary of the 111th CBC, is available here: http://bit.ly/uLBCRO. Please let us know what the CBC means to you by sharing an anecdote or two, or even a photo. Send them to cbc@audubon.org. Throughout this year’s Christmas Bird Count, we will be featuring these stories and photos on our website and in our e-communications."

Here is the anecdote that I submitted:

"Back in 2002, I was new to Audubon. At a meeting in November, a guy came to the Space Coast Audubon to ask for volunteers for the Merritt Island CBC. I had no idea what a bird count was, but I thought the guy was the most handsome guy I'd ever seen in my life, so I signed up in hopes of seeing him again. Well, I got put on a team (not his) with "hard core" birders, which until that point I did not even know existed. They wouldn't stop to let me go pee, and since I was completely unskilled at going in the woods, I had to hold it for hours. I thought these people were completely insane, and to make matters worse, I didn't see that really cute again that day. 

Time has a way of marching on though... I eventually did see that guy again (and again), we've been married for 6 years, and now I am the co-compliler of the Cocoa Christmas Count, and the compiler of the South Brevard Christmas Count. And my greatest accomplishment is that I can now successfully pee in the woods."

What are your favorite war stories from the counts? Please your stories as a reply to this post, I'm sure we would all love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment