Thursday, April 28, 2011

URGENT: Your RSVP needed to make a Turtle Walk happen in June/July


Spring and Summer are Sea Turtle egg laying time. We are in a very good location here in Brevard County to observe Sea Turtles following their million years old rituals of egg laying. I would like to set up an evening observation of sea turtles laying eggs working with the Barrier Island Center near Melbourne Beach. Their staff would take us out at night to observe sea turtles laying eggs. It will be a joint event with Audubon/Sierra Club members, friends and members of the Space Coast Audubon list-serve. There are only 20 slots. It is $10 per person. It will take place on a Tuesday or Wednesday in June or July, and will start at 9pm, continuing to midnight or afterwards depending on turtle activity.

The Barrier Island Center tells me it may not be appropriate for young children, since they would have to stay up so late. The parents should be the judge, because once on the beach observing the turtles, people probably can't leave, because using flashlights disturbs the turtles.

If people are interested in doing this please let me know you are interested by April 30, and I will go in May 1, the opening date and reserve a date at night in June or July. To let me know your interest please call me, Deborah Longman-Marien at 321-305-4344 or e-mail me on the list-serve. If I get enough response, I will set up a Turtle Observation evening. Reminder-Walks are held Tuesday and Wednesday nights in June or July. I need to reserve the spots on the morning of May 1, so I need to be notified by April 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment